Yuba Walleye Roundup Tournament
The Starvation Fishery
- Location: at Duchesne, Utah, about 120 miles east of Salt Lake City on U.S. 40. Watch for the sign near the west Duchesne city limit.
- Species include walleye, smallmouth bass, yellow perch, brown trout, rainbow trout, Utah chub, carp
- Popular fishing methods for Starvation walleye include casting jigs, crankbaits and swim baits, and trolling with spinner rigs (worm harness and bottom bouncer) or crankbaits.
- Popular lure colors include orange, orange/chartreuse, white, silver, brass and copper.
- For jigging, cast a 1/8 or 1/4 ounce jig head with half a night crawler into rocky shorelines. Cast into the rocks and let it sink along the bottom on a tight line. Walleye bites can be very light, or you just may feel something odd. Pay attention to the depth where you're getting bites.
- For spinner rigging, consider keeping spinner rig snells short (24 inches or less) and using a 2 to 3 ounce bottom bouncer to help keep from snagging in the rocks. Bait with piece of night crawler. Experiment with speed and depth. Pay attention to the depth and speed when you get bites. Do not jerk the rod to set the hook.
Scroll down for links to more information on Starvation Reservoir and walleye fishing.
Utah Fishing Regulations (Utah Division of Wildlife Resources)
Fishing report, Northeast Region (Utah Division of Wildlife Resources)
Starvation information (Utah Division of Wildlife Resources)
UDWR Northeastern Region fishing report (includes Starvation)
Starvation dam information (U.S. Bureau of Reclamation)
Current Starvation water level (U.S. Bureau of Reclamation)
About Starvation State Park
Starvation fishing map for purchase
Various Utah walleye fishing articles (Red Rock Adventure website)